Asked upon where does potato come from, “why from pringles ofcourse” came the curt reply from my 6-year-old cousin. I am wondering now how many fruits and grains and nuts and what not I have eaten without even knowing how their corresponding trees look like; where it was grown. etc etc. My first pick is almond. I dare say I have eaten 5641 almonds in my life time. I recollect someone or the other pointing at some tree and telling me “look that is the badam tree (almond tree)”. But everytime it was a different tree. Finally today wikipedia helped me to see the real “badam” tree.
Here are some interesting facts about Almonds:
- The word “almond” comes from Old French almande or alemande
- Green almonds – the young, developing fruit of the almond tree can be eaten whole when they are still green and fleshy on the outside and the inner shell has not yet hardened. The fruit is somewhat sour, but is a popular snack in parts of the Middle East, eaten dipped in salt to balance the sour taste.
- Almonds can be processed into a milk substitute called almond milk; the nut’s soft texture, mild flavour, and light colouring (when skinned) make for an efficient analog to dairy, and a soy-free choice for lactose intolerant people and vegans.
-California produces 80% of the world?s almonds (source: Food and Agriculture organization)
-Almond flour is often used as a gluten-free alternative to wheat flour in cooking and baking
- Almonds contain approximately 49% oils, of which 62% is monounsaturated oleic acid (an omega-9 fatty acid), 24% is linoleic acid (a polyunsaturated omega-6 essential fatty acid), and 6% is palmitic acid (a saturated fatty acid).
- Almond oil is good for application to the skin as an emollient, and has been traditionally used by massage therapists to lubricate the skin during a massage session. It is a mild, lightweight oil that can be used as a substitute for olive oil.
- Almond oil is also used as a wood conditioner of certain woodwind instruments.
- Almond oil is used to remove black spots and black marks on the skin.
- The sweet almond contains about 26% carbohydrates (12% dietary fiber, 6.3% sugars, 0.7% starch and the rest miscellaneous carbohydrates)
I also came across an intresting fact on Almond pollination:
The pollination of California’s almonds is the largest annual managed pollination event in the world, with close to one million hives (nearly half of all beehives in the USA) being trucked in February to the almond groves. Much of the pollination is managed by pollination brokers, who contract with migratory beekeepers from at least 49 states for the event. This business has been heavily impacted by colony collapse disorder, causing nationwide shortages of honey bees and increasing the price of insect pollination.
Where to get organic almonds and in chennai: Organic almonds are available at Dhanyam organic superstore. For more information call 044-28157654 or email email@example.com
Now you can buy organic groceries and vegetables online at www.dhanyam.in/onlinestore