Here is a delicious combination of bitter gourd, onions, tomatoes and capsicum!
- 2 cups bitter gourd (karela) strips
- 1 cup capsicum strips (green and yellow)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 1 cup sliced onions 1/2 cup sliced tomatoes 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
How to make it:
- Combine the karela strips and salt in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze out the excess water from the karela and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad pan, add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the karela strips and onions and saute on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for 6 to 8 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the capsicum, tomato slices and salt, mix well and and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and sugar, mix well and cook for a minute.
- Serve immediately with rice, dal and roti.