Horse gram (Ulavalu in Telugu, Kulthi in Hindi, Kollu in Tamil) is described as the poor man’s pulse crop in South India. It is an anti-oxidant rich food grain. Traditionally different preparations were made with the pulse to suit the requirements of different seasons. For instance, it was given in the winter for generating body heat/warmth and energy.
Kollu Dosa is an easy to make breakfast/dinner recipe.
- Soak 2 cups raw rice, 2 cups kollu/ horse gram, 3 tbsp black gram and 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds together for about two hours.
- Grind them to a fine batter with red chillies, small onions, ginger and curry leaves.
- Add asafoetida and salt and let it ferment for about three hours.
- Now the batter is ready to make crisp dosas!
- Serve with chutney or idli podi.